Sunday, January 29, 2012

Exploring New Artistic Methods

As I take a break from creating greeting cards and focus my efforts where I'm excelling, I have taken to the art of colored pencils.  I'll thank the art teacher at school whom I've been observing while I do my job helping students with special needs and I'll thank the students themselves who have inspired me to give something new a try.

I went out and bought a set of 48 Prismacolor soft pencils and thought I'd post my first efforts.  These are by far just sketches and tests of technique and getting a feel for using them and I'm sure those with better skill can see where I'm in need of further study and practice, so take these with a grain of salt.

done with Crayola colored pencils on card stock paper


Here's a few others that I hope to end up designing a variety of cards with (so PLEASE, these are copyright protected!!).

my dragon character

smiling flower and sun
followed the students' exercise in perspective
Simba resting as sun beams warm him   
Love Birds (actually, quaker parrots!)
Short and sweet post today however lots of exploration is brewing.

7 comments:

  1. I'm truly amazed, Donna, at what you've managed to achieve with your pencils! You've got me wanting to make time to try out mine . . . I particularly like 'Simba' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Judy... question remains - are they good enough for cards LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda like the primitive feel of your lily, Sunshine. I'm a primitivist myself, so I gravitate towards that kind of art. It helps that you used a lot of my fave colors too. LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks, Petra... I'm not completely convinced the money spent on Prismacolor was worth it - but maybe it's the paper I'm using... we'll see... maybe at some point I'll try water color pencils. Mask making is next on the agenda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So easy to make a simple way of making a card ,and its best gift for little guys on there birthday's ......:):)):):)
    Plastic Card
    Plastic Business Cards
    Scratch Card Printing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute drawings!! I just love the little dragon character <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you! I definitely plan lots of future cards with that little dragon!

    ReplyDelete